Monday, March 17, 2008

More walking updates...

Sunday night me and Karla did more "walking practice" aka "baby tennis" with Ella. This is our usual bit where we sit 5 to 10 feet apart, then have Ella walk back and forth between us.

Sunday I tried something a little different. While Ella was coming down the hall at me, I scootched across the floor so that I was around the corner from her. And to my surprise, she rounded the corner just fine and got me. After a few passes of this, I was able to let Ella go at the bathroom, and she'd take off and round the corner heading for mom without even being able to see her when she took off. For us that's a major advancement in walking bravery, which is very important as her primary obstacle to walking seems to be fear of falling or taking chances.


Her total trip was 16 feet, 5 1/2 feet from the bathroom to the corner and another 9 1/2 feet from the corner to mom. So it's also a new distance record.

We were not able to get her to make the return trip blind. I had to lean my head out around the corner to get her to take off, but it's still a major advancement. With a few more goes at it, I'm sure we can get it going.

Unfortunately, we didn't get any walking practice today, I had to head to work in a hurry when I woke up at 8 this morning, and worked past Ella's bedtime. Hopefully we'll get some in tomorrow morning.

No comments: